Sunday, October 3, 2010

Constructing the World Eaters

The challenge for this army is creating something that looks distinctively like World Easters, but has a enough of a variety of models that it's not boring. The only real World Eater units that GW produces is the Khorne Berzerkers, and that's just not enough. The key is going to be bringing in as many bitz and pieces from other sources to make each unit type distintive and interesting.

Blood Claws
These units are going to use the easiest, as they'll be using the GW Berzerker models. They have very dynamic poses, which suits the nature of the unit. I might pick up some extra shoulder pads, as I don't intend to use decals and don't really care for shoulder pads that don't have any detail.

Grey Hunters
These models are going to use the standard Chaos Space Marine model as the base. The poses for these are much more solid and static, which again suits the temperment of a unit that has more control over their blood lust. However, I'll convert them up with the bitz from the Forgeworld World Eater Upgrade kit. These upgrades are fantastic, and will add a LOT of character to the models.

Mark of the Wolfen Models
I'm going to be taking models with Marks of the Wolfen as much as I can, simply because it really suits Khorne-y idea of rampaging marines! These models will be based around the Possessed marine models, and they're appropriately bulked up, don't wield the usual weapons and will really stand out from the other models in the unit.

Thunderwolf Cavalry
The conversion possibilities for these models are what really drew me to this whole army concept in the first place. These guys are going to be mounted on Bloodcrushers, and mounted by marines created from leftover bits from the Berzerker, Chaos Space Marine and World Eater Upgrade packs. I'm going to go over the top as much as possible here, to make these guys really distinctive and freaky-looking.

Lone Wolf Terminator
I've already decided that I'm going to have at least one Lone Wolf Terminator in the list, and that decision was forced on me by my discovery of the Lord Zhufor model from Forgeworld. He's amazing, and loaded with World Eater and Khorne icons as well! I'll use the demonic head, and have to convert up a different weapons load-out (as I'm intending to run him with storm shield and thunder hammer rather than the axe and powerfist he comes with), but the base model is just too good to pass up.

Wolf Lord in Thunder Wolf
This unit is going to require no conversion at all. The role of my Wolf Lord will be played by... a Blood Slaughterer model from Forgeworld. This model has everything I love about the Chaos: nasty looking, great details, and huge! It's going to make an exceptional centerpiece for the army, and I'm already itching to get him assembled and painted.

Bases
I have a confession to make: I hate bases. I just have no use for flock, and I think my attempts at using making bases myself have been dismal failures. So, I'll be purchasing some resin bases from Dragon Forge to use instead. I've used their bases before for my Space Marine army, and they really look fantastic. I'm leaning towards the Parched Earth set at the moment, but that may change. They're simple but would look good, and the range has all of the various sizes I'll need.

There are also going to be a number of miscellaneous bitz and pieces I'll need, so I'll likely be placing an order with The War Store at some point. I don't think I'll need much (eg extra meltaguns, powerfists, shields from Fantasy Chaos Knihts, etc), but I find it much easier to just place the order than try to scavenge off eBay or other gamers.

It'd be possible to pull this army together for a lot less work (and likely a lot less cost) by passing on these conversions, but this army is going to be primarily about getting the look and feel of the army right. I really want to be able to put this army on the table and have someone say 'holy crap, those guys are going to eat my soul!' It'll take time to save up the funds to get this stuff together, but it'll be worth it once it's ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment